Machine Learning x Particle Physics
Building better machine learning tools for physics
ML x Particle Physics, Graph Neural Nets
- Zenodo: DeepJetCore, Kieseler et al., 2020
- OpenReview Submission - DeepJet: A Machine Learning Environment for High-energy Physics
- Check out my collection of “Awesome Particle Physics Resources for Non-Physicists”
I’ve also developed strategies using the cornerstone of artificial intelligence to advance the natural sciences. I used to work on graph-based approaches to particle track reconstruction (similar to the TrackML Challenge on Kaggle) - specifically using the representation of 3D point cloud data as a (lower-dimension) graph followed by training a graph neural network on it, possibly conditioned on additional physical information (meta data). Problems in high-energy physics and science in general prove to be a rich testbed for statistical machine learning and Bayesian inference. It is exciting to see a growing focus on making this area more practical.
2018: CERN Technical Student
- I won the Google Cloud Award at the Deep Learning Indaba for our work on ML x Particle Physics using DeepJet
- Preprint of our work on machine learning for high-energy physics
- Selected as one of the youngest attendees and presented DeepJet at the ML Summer School, Madrid
- Placed 2nd in the CodaLab Challenge at the ML for High-energy Physics School organised by Yandex at Oxford University
- I was one of the youngest finalists for the $150,000 Reliance Dhirubhai Scholarship for pursuing an MBA degree at Stanford University (declined)
- Presented DeepJet at the CERN IML Workshop and other Working Group Meetings at CERN
- I’m attending the Deep Learning and Reinforcement Learning Summer School in Canada where I received a full travel scholarship, 2019
- I’ve been accepted to the DeepMind/Transylvanian ML Summer School with a travel scholarship, 2019
- I’ve been accepted to the Berlin Mathematical Summer School, 2019
- I’ve been invited to present our work on DeepJet at the Nvidia GPU Tech Conference, 2019
- I’ve been accepted to the UC Berkeley Deep Learning for Science School with a travel scholarship, 2019
- I participated in my first podcast discussing CERN, higher-education, and more with some fantastic students from my alma mater
I have given a set of talks on topics including internships, working in quantum physics (from a Computer Scientist’s perspective), my work at CERN on deep learning for jet physics, and a project presentation from my work at IIT Bombay and Microsoft Research.
CERN: The DeepJet Framework
My primary project at CERN: Build and deploy a Python package for training and evaluation of deep neural networks for “jet” tagging in high-energy physics.
Talk at the Machine Learning Working Group Meeting, April 2018
Invited talk for the CVIT Lab, Indian Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad:
Please note the references for the CVIT (IIIT-H) talk in the last slide of the presentation titled ‘The DeepJet Framework.’ Some of the slides used are (as cited) from various presentations for the public built by different researchers at the CMS Experiment.